Product Supplier Quality Engineer
Are you a looking to join a high-tech renewable energy company that helps solve problems for agriculture, air conditioning and international social impact projects? SunTech Drive is leading the effort to bring affordable solar power to new applications. We are a venture-funded, early stage, high growth company that has received multiple awards for bringing groundbreaking nanogrid products to market. These products are helping customers harness the power of clean, distributed energy to build a more sustainable energy future.
We have an immediate opening for a Product and Supplier Quality Engineer to join our organization. This position will drive the component, supplier, product and process quality activities to assure world-class cost-effective high-quality product delivery in a medium-mix, medium-volume product development and manufacturing environment, with significant emphasis on custom parts and contract manufacturing. The Supplier Quality Engineer will implement best practices and will work cross-functionally with Sales and Marketing, Engineering, Operations and Finance as well as authorized third parties to provide excellence in execution.
Located just outside of Boulder, CO in the Louisville Tech Center, this position is part of SunTech Drive’s Operations organization. The company offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, fun work environment, excellent health, dental, and vision benefits, and an equity position.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Some travel required. No relocation. Candidates submitted by third-party agencies will not be considered.
• Develop and execute component evaluation, acceptance and qualification test plans.
• Assure new products are developed with Design for Reliability (DFR) criteria. Develop MTBF models for all new product introductions.
• Evaluate new processes, technologies, components and materials for new applications.
• Evaluate design issues related to strength of materials, long-term stability, shock, vibration, repeatability, and thermal performance.
• Oversee verification and validation testing of components as required, working with internal and third party Purchasing, Manufacturing, Engineering and Production Test technicians.
• Identify critical and high-risk components in products. Develop and execute reliability test plans for these components.
• Participate in supplier audits for key components.
• Communicate to component manufacturers regarding component failures. Drive component failure analysis and corrective actions to closure.
• Review, analyze and optimize Bills of Materials (BOM’s) down to manufacturer part level.
• Ensure purchased components and sub-assemblies are compliant to necessary environmental and safety standards, e.g. RoHS, REACH, UL, CE, CSA, ISO, IPC-A-610, Conflict Minerals, etc.
• Develop, maintain and execute changes impacting the Approved Manufactures List (AML), Approved Vendor List (AVL) and Preferred Parts List (PLL). Issue Engineering Change Requests (ECRs), Engineering Change Orders (ECOs) and Manufacturing Change Orders (MCOs).
• Review and address Product Change Notices (PCNs) from component manufacturers. Track notices and maintain database.
• Oversee and manage EOL team meetings and database, track component lifecycles, proactively identify and drive solutions to resolve End-of-life (EOL) and Excess and Obsolete (E&O) situations and minimize impacts.
• Focal point for Contract Manufacturing for all technical component issues.
• Understand component technology roadmaps/trends and present them to Design Engineering.
• Lead Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) development, review and execution.
• Support the design of fixtures, tooling and apparatus required for manufacturing and test.
• Other responsibilities as assigned.
• B.S degree or above, majoring in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related Engineering discipline combined with eight (8) years’ experience or an equivalent combination of skills, education, and experience in design and production support of product development, new product introduction and volume manufacturing of high-tech custom electronics products. Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s or PhD., may substitute for two years of related experience.
• Knowledge of Industry standard qualification and certification requirements which vary by commodity, including qualification, screening and stress testing for various general application categories.
• Understanding of the selection, procurement, manufacture, use, qualification and screening of high reliability components.
• Experience with generating Non-Standard Parts Approval Requests and Source Control Documents and other part related test, inspection and qualification documentation.
• Strong understanding of electronic piece-part physics and failure modes.
• Familiarity with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or other mechanical design and modeling tools.
• Familiarity with design for manufacturing and systematic problem-solving methodologies such as 6 Sigma, Shainin, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in activities related to New Product/Process Development.
• Familiarity with standard manufacturing processes including Machining, Welding, Soldering, etc.
• Demonstrated ability to read and understand circuit board schematics and assembly drawings.
• Demonstrated ability to use electronic test equipment such as digital multimeters, digital oscilloscopes, signal generators, programmable power supplies, analyzers, simulators, etc.
• Knowledge of, and demonstrated experience in, practical application of high-tech electronics, components, science and technology.
• Demonstrated practical knowledge of manufacturing of components, including die casting, machining, injection molding, metal fabrication stampings and plating, painting, printing, etc.
• Demonstrated practical knowledge of Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) manufacturing processes, design, ICT, FCT and FT
• Demonstrated practical knowledge of environments and requirements for both New Product Introduction (NPI) and volume manufacturing.
• Demonstrated ability to monitor, expedite and report on departmental activity, operate independently, take action as required and effectively communicate with customers and internal personnel in a fastpaced and dynamic environment.
• Must be able to walk or stand for extended periods, able to lift up to 40 lbs and wear required PPE.
• Exceptional detail orientation combined with excellent oral and written communication skills.
• A valid driver’s license is required as some off-site travel will be required.
• Practical knowledge of Microsoft software applications and other software applications, as required.
The following qualifications are highly desired:
• Demonstrated experience with high frequency PWM systems and/or variable frequency drives.
• Demonstrated experience working with electronic systems utilizing 400 VDC or higher.
• Demonstrated and successful implementation of continuous improvement, Lean techniques, Six Sigma and/or statistical methodologies.
• MSEE, MEME or PhD. degree.
If you meet these requirements and want to join a fast-growth company, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com Include Job Code PSQE-X with response.
Download the Job Description Below